Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Good Investments

Through my very limited tack making experience, I have come across some things that I would never want to live without. In case you might find them helpful, here they are:

For ribbon work:

Strong Glue
Ribbon does not like to stick to itself. I find that my super tacky glue does work much better than the regular glue. It is a pain in the butt to use though.
Where to buy: Michael’s
Cost: $3 -$4
(Jo-Anns has it online only, I believe…)


Sewing Pins
Along with the super tacky glue, you are going to definitely need some sewing pins. The glue clumps up easily and the hole in the cap needs to be cleaned out often. I replaced the cap asap after use. Oh, and don’t leave it upside down! Even though it is a pain to get out, it is an even bigger pain when its all clumped up around the cap.
Where to buy: Any craft store, maybe even Wal-Mart
Cost: around $4, but you only need a few


Mini Clothespins
I got this idea from a fellow blogger, and boy they are great! The glue needs a good bit of time to set properly. While the glue is still wet, I move the ribbon pieces around so they match up exactly and none of the bottom ribbon can be seen from the top. Once I have it in place, I let it dry for a bit between my fingers. After it has dried enough to not come undone when I let go, I quickly replace my fingers with one or two pins and let it dry even longer.
Where to buy: Michael’s, Jo-Anns
Cost: $2 - $3



For leather work:

Safely Beveler
If you have read my blog before, you aren’t surprised to see this here. This cheap little gadget is wonderful and easy to use and really cuts down skiving time!
Where to buy: Tandy leather Factory
Cost: $6.99, but they go on sale


Exacto Knife
Although I don't use it for skiving, it always comes in handy. It is so small and so sharp it has multiple uses. Sometimes I do use it for skiving when I come across a "knot" or stubborn leather.
Where to buy: Michael's, Rio Rondo, probably Jo-Anns or Home Depot
Cost: $2-$5


Wood Mallet and Mechanical Pencils
Thanks to Jennifer Buxton, hole punching is so easy! I can't imagine doing it any other way. You just have to make sure to get the metal tip pencil, not plastic!
Where to buy: Mallet: Tandy Leather Factory; Pencils: Anywhere that sells pencils, including Michael's!
Cost: Mallet: $4; Pencils: Mine were $7, but that's expensive



Gum Tragacanth
This stuff makes leather so smooth and easy to work with. I wouldn't skive without it!
Where to buy: Tandy Leather Factory
Cost: $8



In general:

Good Cutters
I haven’t had these long, but I picked up these scissors at Jo-Anns for $10. They work great for cutting Rio Rondo hardware! The curved end makes it easy to get in close to the hardware so I don't have to do much sanding.
Where to buy: Jo-Anns
Cost: $10


Good Scissors!
For a long time I was using scissors I found in my kitchen draw. When i finally bought my own, it made a world of difference! There were so sharp it made cutting so much easier.
Where to buy: Basically anywhere
Cost: Varies, mine were $5

Those are just some things that I use on a daily basis. Of course, I will probably be adding on later, but I thought it might be helpful to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment