Tuesday, April 19, 2011

KHP Parade of Breeds (2)

I had a few requests for videos, so I will start with what I have found so far. This is LaBelle and me at the 2005 Kentucky Horse Park Parade of Breeds, three years after my first year there with Chauncey. I can't seem to find the two in-between years, but I will keep looking!

This was LaBelle's first year at the KY Horse Park, and it was our first year showing together (2005). I have a lot more pictures to share, but the video quality is way worse. My godfather (instead of my dad) taped it with his ancient, big as my horse, have to hold it on your shoulder, camcorder. I will continue to hunt to see if my dad taped any, but I think he took all the still photos.

Now that I have more pictures, I can better explain how the Parade of Breeds works. First of all, it's all about the public. Therefore, LaBelle (and Chauncey's) stall was open for viewing all day. When we weren't riding, we were hanging out at the stall. Sometimes I would pull my horse out or just leave the door open so people could ask questions or feed them carrots.


Then came the actual riding like you saw in the last video. Again, it is the breed being represented. Since LaBelle was a warmblood, it was fitting that we did dressage.





There were also many other horses that represented their breed:


This horse was in the movie Seabiscuit

After all the breeds have shown, then they all come back in the end and line up on the rail. Then the public is free to talk to the riders, ask questions, and of course pet the horses!



The Parade of Breeds was such a great experience; I really enjoyed it. I hope you guys do too! If you get a chance (like at Breyerfest!) make sure you check it out!



Denny Chapman, the Breeds Barn manager and me.

Silly girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment